Gumbo- a Creole Christmas 2017
December 30, 2017 Adrienne Brown 0 Comments
RECIPE (for a big family)
Prep time 40 minutes
Ready in about 30 minutes
Serves 12 people (with left overs)
- 10-12 cps of Water
- 3/4 cp of Green Onion, ½ cp Parsley,¾ cp Celery, 4 cloves of garlic
- 4-6 Lbs of Chicken thighs & legs
- 2 – Hillshire Farm Smoke Sausage- cut up
- Whole Crab (If available) , or Crab Legs
- 3 bags of fresh Shrimp
- 2 bags Dried Shrimp
- 1 Cp Flour
- 1 Cp Olive Oil
- 2 -3 tbsp Gumbo file
- Kosher salt & Black pepper, to taste
- Cooked white rice
- Cook the chicken with some of the seasonings, green onion, garlic, parsley, and celery for about 40 minutes. Take chicken out of the broth to cool.
- After the broth has cooled, strain any extra fat off. Place cut sausage, and remaining vegetables in the broth, cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, shrimp, and crabs. Season to taste.
- Put oil in a skillet, when hot, sprinkle in flour, cook until flour is a caramel brown.
- Stir roux into gumbo pot, stir in file’ seasoning. Simmer until thickened.
- Serve over white rice
This is an old family recipe, my grandmother put oysters in hers, but I don’t like them in my gumbo. Some of my family members use them and other seafood. Let your taste buds lead you! enjoy!